I'm Natasha Barnes. I've been a professional athlete for over 18 years and have been helping athletes recover from injury for over half a decade!
I am a consultant. I help athletes develop rehabilitation strategies and guide them towards optimizing performance through solutions-focused, science-based sports medicine.
I don't fix athletes, I teach them how to fix themselves!
My goal is to empower athletes to take charge of their recovery by helping them develop a plan of action for rehabilitation and return to sport.
In 2005 I was Bouldering National Champion and a Teva Games (now known as the GoPro Mountain Games/IFSC Vail World Cup) gold medalist. That same year, just at the peak of my competitive climbing career, I suffered a devastating finger injury and couldn’t climb for 6+ months. I injured my right shoulder not long after in 2008 and recovery was slow and frustrating. Depressed would be an understatement. My entire identity was wrapped around climbing.
I eventually recovered and later went on to climb multiple V10 and V11's and redpoint 5.13d/14a, but I was frustrated at lack of good information available on how to resolve climbing related injuries. Doctors didn't seem to understand climbing at all! So, I decided to go to school to learn how to fix these injuries myself!
Through the process of figuring out how to fix my own injuries I discovered barbell strength training and was blown away by the results I got by just making my body stronger. Teaching people how to get stronger has become a large component of my rehab practice.
I started my private practice because it has always been my goal to help other climbers and athletes recover from injury. I know how frustrating and depressing it can be to be faced with an injury and be told by other doctors to stop climbing. I am here to help!
What I've Achieved
- I’ve been climbing since 1999 and I have been a professional athlete since 2001
- I am a former National Champion (2005) and Teva Games (2005) gold medalist (now GoPro Mountain Games/IFSC World Cup stop)
- I have earned a spot on the US World Cup Bouldering and Sport Climbing Team multiple years
- I’ve bouldered V11 and climbed 5.13d/14a outdoors
- Competitive powerlifter in the 67.5kg weight class with a Master's total.
- Squat 290, Bench 170, Deadlift 355
- ClinicalAthlete provider since 2015
- Recognized as one of the leading experts on climbing injuries
- Regularly contribute articles to the Training Beta blog
- Featured in several climbing magazines and climbing films